pySioGame is a free, open source and multi-platform educational application consisting of multiple activities and educational games for children.
This educational software aims to help children to learn skills such as reading, writing, maths, recognizing colours, telling time and many more. The simplicity of the activities and the way they are arranged supports 'learning through play'. Children as young as 3 can begin to play with some of the activities and play until they learn all that can be learnt with this educational software.
Some supervision may be needed, especially to create an account, but most of the activities are pretty self-explanatory so kids should be fine working out how to use them, however some guidance may be needed when working with kids who can't read yet - sorry it can't really be used as a computer nanny in those cases.
Watching the pySioGame video guide on youtube may also be helpful in getting what this software is all about. Please bear in mind that the video is of an older version - the layout has changed, the login screen also changed allowing users to select their age (or rather school year) which is used to hide the activities that may be not appropriate for users skill level. Adding new users is now accomplished through User Management Panel.
pySioGame was developed using only open-source tools including operating system - initially it was developed for Linux machines only but the latest version (2+) will run on Windows as well (tested on Windows XP, 7 and 8), as long as the requirements are met. And since version 3+ the game can also be downloaded as a Windows executable which no longer requires installation of python, pygame, etc.
pySioGame as an educational software for schools.
pySioGame is not only a tool used on home PCs but also recently a number of schools started to introduce it as a teaching aid in primary schools as well as in schools for those with learning difficulties. Please get in touch if your school is using it or planing to do so (it would be interesting to hear your story) also let us know if there is anything you would like this software to cover that has not been covered yet.
Requirements and compatibility
The pySioGame was developed in Python and uses the Pygame library for GUI. It also uses eSpeak which is an open-source text-to-speech engine. To run pySioGame from source you need all 3 of them installed on your system (eSpeak is optional). Please make sure your Pygame is compatible with the version of Python you have installed. However if you happen to have the pysiogame.exe version you only need to install eSpeak to enable the text-to-speech functionality.
Operating System: the latest version should work on Windows, Linux, possibly Mac (not tested) - it will not run on mobiles, unless you can install python and pygame on them (unlikely in most cases). So far this game was only tested and confirmed to work on Linux and Windows and recently RasberryPi. In either case you will need permissions to install some additional software. The pySioGame itself does not have to be installed - it can either be run as a self-contained application (on Windows) or it can be run from source via python interpreter which is one of the things that need to be installed on the system along with pygame and optionally eSpeak.
Python versions supported: 2.7+ (including python 3+)
- 1GHz Processor (possibly less - pySioGame was developed to run on low end machines).
- usually up to 100MB of free RAM memory (ie. when playing the paint activity it may need a bit more to save all history) - in most cases 512MB cards should be enough on Linux on other Operating Systems it depends how much your OS requires to keep running.
For more info please visit the Installation page.
What's inside? *
- Language activities:
- learn the alphabet
- learn to write printed and cursive letters (not all available lanugages are supported, but anyway this is still best done on paper)
- Touch Typing Tutor - learn positions of letters/keys on keyboard (UK, US, German, Greek, French, Polish and Russian keyboard layouts supported so far))
- learn new words in multiple categories
- Maths activities:
- learn numbers 1-20
- learn number spellings 0 - 100
- learn to count by dragging objects
- learn to add, subtract, multiply and divide
- columnar addition and subtraction, long multiplication and division
- compare and sort numbers
- basic fractions, percentages and ratios
- learn basic shapes and solids
- learn to draw shapes
- Time activities:
- play with clock hands and learn how to tell time
- learn to set the clock by dragging the clock hands
- match digital time to analogue time
- Art and Colour activities:
- basic painting activity
- learn colour names
- learn how colours are formed both by light and paint/ink
- Memory activities:
- memorizing a sequence of highlighted squares
- memorizing a set of directions
- finding the matching images
- Other activities:
- matching shapes
- tracing lines
- finding the matching images
- multiple variations of the "Fifteen" game
- and more...
* The availability of activities may depend on language selected as well as a user's age and some other technical parameters such as screen resolution, etc.
Currently available translations:
(the latest version may not be fully translated to all of them)
- Catalan (Català)
- English UK
- English US
- Finnish (Suomalainen)
- French (Français)
- German (Deutsch)
- Greek (Ελληνικά)
- Hebrew (עִברִית)
- Italian (Italiano)
- Polish (Polski)
- Portuguese (Português)
- Russian (Русский)
- Spanish (Español)
- Ukrainian (Українська)
Languages displayed in the game, but not translated:
- Danish (Dansk)
- Dutch (Nederlands)
- Slovak (Slovenčina)
Is your language missing? Are you prepared to spend some time translating it? Maybe you think some of the translations could be improved or the available texts could be more fun for kids if worded differently? Why not contact me and we will see if we can add your language or change what we have at the moment. Please visit translation instructions to find out how to to go about translating this project.
Windows executable available.
Thanks to support from Gino Ingras (who contributed the pygame2exe setup script) pySioGame is now also available as a self-contained executable file, that can be run immediately after unpacking (by starting pysiogame.exe), no need for extra software except for the optional eSpeak if you want to make the application talk.
High contrast mode.
The software can be set to play the games and activities in high contrast mode - to make them more friendly for kids with colour vision deficiency and other vision related problems. Any feedback on that is very welcome - the game could do with some testing with someone who would have this type of condition - it would be nice to know if it is actually helping.