pySioGame is a free, open-source, educational application consisting of multiple activities and educational games for children.
This educational software aims to help with learning some of the basic skills such as reading, writing, maths, recognizing colours, telling time and many more. While the age group may be hard to define children as young as 3 can begin to play with some of the activities and play until they learn all that can be learnt with this game.
Some supervision may be needed, especially to create the account, but most of the activities are pretty self-explanatory so kids should be fine working out how to use them, however some guidance may be needed in case of kids who can't read yet - sorry it can't really be used as a computer nanny in those cases.
Watching the pySioGame video guide on youtube may also be helpful in getting what this software is all about.
pySioGame was developed using only open-source tools including operating system - initially it was developed for Linux machines only but the latest version (2+) will run on Windows as well (tested on Windows XP and 8), as long as the requirements are met.
Requirements and compatibility
The pySioGame was developed in Python and uses the Pygame library for GUI. It also uses eSpeak which is an open-source text-to-speech engine. To run pySioGame you need all 3 of them installed on your system (eSpeak is optional). Please make sure your Pygame is compatible with the version of Python you have installed.
Operating System: the latest version should work on Windows, Linux, possibly Mac (not tested) - it will not run on mobiles, unless you can install python and pygame on them (unlikely in most cases). Basically this game was only tested and confirmed to work on Linux and Windows. In either case you will need permissions to install some additional software. The pySioGame itself does not have to be installed - it is being run by python interpreter which is one of the things that need to be installed on the system along with pygame and optionally eSpeak.
Python versions supported: 2.7+ (including python3+)
- 1GHz Processor (possibly less - pySioGame was developed to run on low end machines).
- usually up to 100MB of free RAM memory (ie. when playing the paint activity it may need a bit more to save all history) - in most cases 512MB cards should be enough (depending how much your OS requires to keep running)
For more info please visit the Installation page.
What's inside? *
- Language activities:
- learn the alphabet
- learn to write printed and cursive letters
- Touch Typing Tutor - learn positions of letters/keys on keyboard (UK, US, Greek, Polish and Russian keyboard layouts supported so far))
- learn new words in multiple categories
- Maths activities:
- learn numbers 1-20
- learn number spellings 0 - 100
- learn to count by dragging objects
- learn to add, subtract, multiply and divide
- compare and sort numbers
- basic fractions, percentages and ratios
- columnar addition and subtraction, long multiplication and division
- learn basic shapes and solids
- learn to draw shapes
- Time activities:
- play with clock hands
- learn to tell time
- learn to set the clock by dragging the clock hands
- match digital time to analogue time
- Art and Colour activities:
- basic painting activity
- learn colour names
- learn how colours are formed both by light and paint
- Memory activities:
- memorizing a sequence of highlighted squares
- memorizing a set of directions
- finding the matching images
- Other activities:
- matching shapes
- tracing lines
- finding the matching images
- multiple variations of the "Fifteen" game
- and more...
* The availability of activities may depend on language selected and some other technical parameters such as screen resolution, etc.
High contrast mode.
The latest feature added to the game is a possibility to play the games and activities in the high contrast mode - to make them more friendly for kids with colour vision deficiency and other vision related problems. Any feedback on that is very welcome - the game has not been tested with anyone who would have this condition so it would be nice to know if it is actually helping.
Currently available translations:
- Catalan (Català)
- English UK
- English US
- Finnish (Suomalainen)
- Greek (Ελληνικά)
- Hebrew (עִברִית)
- Italian (Italiano)
- Polish (Polski)
- Portuguese (Português)
- Russian (Русский)
- Spanish (Español)
- Ukrainian (Українська)
Languages displayed in the game, but not translated:
- Arabic (العربية) *
- Danish (Dansk)
- Dutch (Nederlands)
- French (Français)
- German (Deutsch)
- Slovak (Slovenčina) *
* - added to the latest development version of the game
Is your language missing? Are you prepared to spend some time translating it? Maybe you think some of the translations could be improved or the available texts could be more fun for kids if worded differently? Why not contact me and we will see if we can add your language or change what we have at the moment. Please visit translation instructions to find out how to to go about translating this project.